If you are thinking of buying an engagement ring, you would have come across moissanite engagement rings. If you are thinking about buying a moissanite engagement ring or even thought has crossed your mind to buy one, then you are at the perfect place!
Moissanite engagement rings have become a hot favorite among the couples of today because of their appealing beauty, durability, and of course affordability.
The most substantial part of any vital purchase is ‘research’, and finding reliable and accurate information is not that easy. Read more to learn all that is needed to buy a perfect moissanite engagement ring.
What is a Moissanite?
Shining as bright as a star, moissanite is a naturally occurring colorless gemstone composed of silicon carbide. It was first discovered in 1893 by a French scientist named Henri Moissan, in a crater created by a meteorite that fell to Earth. Moissan’s initial thought was that he had discovered diamonds but later found out it to be a different crystal as it was composed of silicon carbide.
It is important to note that natural moissanite is exceptionally rare, and therefore most of the moissanite available today is laboratory-created.
Moissanite is one of the hardest gemstones, ranking at 9.25 on the Mohs scale of hardness. This also means that they are second only to diamonds in durability. They are much harder than other popular gemstones such as sapphires, emeralds, or rubies. Due to their strong durability, they are highly resistant to scratching or breaking and therefore are an excellent option for daily wear.
How to Buy Moissanite?
Buying a gemstone is not a piece of cake, especially when you are buying something that has an emotional value attached to it such as an engagement ring.
Listed below are some of the primary factors that you should consider to buy a good quality moissanite engagement ring.
Moissanites are available in two color qualities i.e. "colorless" and "near-colorless". Moissanites resemble the K grade on the GIA color scale used for diamonds. Premium moissanite is nearly colorless and can be compared to a G or H-graded diamond color, while super-premium moissanites are colorless, falling within the D-F range.
Even the colorless moissanite can reflect a yellow or grayish hue in certain lights. Here again, the larger the moissanite, the more noticeable the color. The most important thing that any future moissanite buyer should remember is that moissanite color never fades away, no matter how long it has been since it was purchased.
Most of the moissanite available in the market are eye-clean, which signifies that any tiny inclusions or blemishes are not visible with the naked eye. One should look for flawless or very slightly included moissanite gemstone to get the most fire and brilliance. Usually, moissanite's clarity is graded as "very good" and "good" with very little difference between both grades.
Although moissanite is primarily graded on its color, the cut is an important factor as a properly cut stone enhances the sparkle of moissanite. As moissanite's optical properties are different from diamonds, the stone must be cut accordingly by an expert cutter. Also, to be noted is that many consumers do not know is that cut does not only refer to the shape of the stone but also its proportions, symmetry, and polish.
Moissanites can be cut into any common gemstone shape, but similar to diamonds the most popular shape by far is the round brilliant cut. This classic cut tends to maximize the fire of the stone and is also extremely versatile to wear.
Other popular moissanite cuts are princess, marquise, pear, cushion, radiant, and heart.
Moissanites are lighter than natural diamonds. Therefore, moissanite is measured by size and not by carat weight. The most common moissanite sizes in jewelry are 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, 7.5mm, and 8mm.
Moissanite Engagement Ring Settings
What all qualities one would want in an engagement ring - durability, affordability, and beauty?!
A moissanite engagement ring is a perfect blend of these three qualities and becoming increasingly popular among new couples as the center stone for engagement ring.Moissanite goes with almost every type of ring setting. As they are strong and durable stones, they can be set in delicate styles such as tension or solitaire settings as well.
The three most popular settings for moissanite rings are :
Halo's setting highlights the beauty and sparkle of the main stone. In this setting, there is one bigger center stone (moissanite) and an ensemble of other smaller stones surrounding it.
As the name speaks suggests, this setting has three main stones. The center stone is usually the largest and the side stones being smaller in size. The stones can either be of the same shape or the two side stones can have a different shape than the middle one. It is interesting to note that in some cultures, the three-stone setting in engagement rings is interpreted as the trilogy of a relationship – love, friendship, and loyalty.
The solitaire jewelry piece comes with one single stone (no halo or side accents) and it accentuates the gemstone-like no other setting. It’s a classic and all-time favorite setting.
Selecting the Metal
The power of moissanite is that it is universally appealing and looks equally stunning in every metal; yellow gold, rose gold, white gold, silver, or platinum. There is no difference when it comes to moissanite’s beauty. It is all a matter of personal liking and preference. However, it is observed that people prefer white metals such as silver, platinum, or white gold for engagement rings, while rose gold is considered to be the fancy metal preferred by trendsetters. Yellow gold as always is the traditional and classic choice for the base metal.
Why Should You Buy Moissanite?
- Environment friendly: Moissanite is also called ‘socially responsible gem’ because as they are grown in a controlled environment using advanced technology, these gemstones require no mining to produce them resulting in almost zero impact on the environment. You can pair them with recycled metal to make your ring super sustainable.
- Durability: Moissanite scores 9.25 on the Mohs scale making it one of the hardest substances on earth, and highly suitable for day-to-day wear. They are extremely resistant to chipping and scratching.
- Affordability: They are not exorbitantly priced like diamonds. Moissanite costs much lower in price than a same-sized diamond. Even lab-created diamonds are much higher in cost than moissanite.
- Appearance: While a diamond engagement ring certainly sparkles, moissanite has the potential to sparkle more. Due to their higher refractive index, they are shinier and more refractive of light than diamonds. Moissanites sparkle with a rainbow effect which is remarkable and unique in its way.
Diamond vs Moissanite
Brilliant, durable, and near-colorless, diamond and moissanite are often compared. However, under closer examination, you can see that these two unique stones have several key differences.
- The most obvious difference is that moissanite and diamond are two entirely different jewels with completely different chemical compositions, physical characteristics, and optical properties. Moissanite's chemical composition is silicon carbide and a diamond is composed of carbon.
- While both sparkle, moissanite has a higher brilliance than diamond when you compare refractive indices. Moissanite's measurement of brilliance or refractive index (RI) of 2.65-2.69 is about 10% higher than diamond's RI of 2.42.
- Interestingly, diamond has a natural affinity to grease, which builds upon the diamond's surface and can reduce its luster appearance. Moissanite is less likely to attract grease, sparkling brightly even when it hasn't been cleaned for a long time.
What’s more, today’s commonly promoted diamond engagement ring is lower in quality, and moissanite’s exceptional cutting is evident by the way moissanite outshines many diamonds. In every way, moissanite is a superior choice for beautiful, unique jewelry.
Shop for Moissanite Engagement Rings
If diamonds are forever, moissanite is till eternity!
Time and again, we have reiterated the importance of buying jewelry from a trusted and reputable vendor. With a reputable seller, you can find a jewelry piece that fits your budget as well as style.
We strongly recommend buying moissanite jewelry from Etsy. With a wide range of moissanite jewelry to offer, their jewelry pieces are excellent in quality. Excellent service, exquisite pieces suiting to all budgets are just a few of the perks of shopping from Etsy.
Check out these Etsy shops for moissanite engagement rings:
Shop now to buy a moissanite ring of your dreams!