In this article you will learn the how's and why's of buying a salt and pepper diamond engagement ring.
Engagement is one of the most special moments in a person’s life, and what makes this day distinctively special is the ‘engagement ring’. An engagement ring is not only to add to a person’s beauty but symbolizes love and commitment. For the same reason, it carries a lifelong emotional journey with it.
A diamond engagement ring is a priceless possession, and people go beyond their capacities to research, choose, and buy the best engagement ring. There are some who go with the classic and traditional round brilliant stone, whereas there are some who want something unique and experiment with a different shape such as the oval, pear, emerald etc. Similarly, there are some who insist on fancy-colored diamonds.
Now, if you are someone who wants to stand completely out of the crowd; want to wear a glorious diamond, but something which is truly different from the rest, then salt and pepper diamond engagement ring is for you!
What is a Salt and Pepper Diamond?
You all may be aware of 4C’s of a diamond – Color, Clarity, Cut and Carat Weight. In order to understand salt and pepper diamond, we need to take into account the concept of clarity, as the appearance of a salt and pepper diamond is most closely related to the diamond’s clarity.
We all know that most of the diamonds contain some level of imperfections. Clarity assesses how clean a diamond is from any imperfections i.e. any blemishes or any inclusions.
A salt and pepper diamond has ample of black and white inclusions. These inclusions create the black and white marks in the diamonds, and hence the term, ‘salt’ for white and ‘pepper’ for black inclusions. These black and white inclusions give them a unique silky gray, spotted appearance and set them apart from the regular diamonds.
Salt and pepper diamonds are known for their earthiness, depth of color and shimmering icy gray appearance. In fact, these black and white marks are that unique quality of salt and pepper diamonds, which makes them unusually attractive and can add a dramatic twist to an engagement ring.
To understand the durability of salt and pepper diamonds, let us first understand the ‘Mohs scale of hardness’.
Fredrich Mohs, a German mineralogist, invented a scale of relative mineral hardness that is known as the Mohs scale. It is a 10 point scale of mineral hardness. The hardest mineral known to man, which is diamond, is rated as 10 on the scale.
The durability of a salt and pepper diamond varies based on a few factors. Depending on where they are positioned and how large they are, inclusions can compromise the strength of the diamond.
In simple terms, salt and pepper diamonds are comparatively more brittle and prone to fracture than regular diamonds due to innumerable inclusions in them. However, with reasonable care and mindful wearing, these diamonds can also last and carry your memories for ages.
Comparing Salt & Pepper with Regular Diamonds
4C’s of a diamond is taken into account to evaluate the quality of colorless diamonds. The higher a diamond’s grade, the more perfect and expensive it is. However, in the case of salt of pepper diamonds, the grading system of 4Cs does not apply.
Salt and pepper diamonds are not evaluated in the same way as colorless diamonds, and surprisingly, no grading report is provided for these stones.
To make the matter clearer, let’s compare and examine 4C’s of regular diamonds with respect to salt and pepper diamonds.
We know that all diamonds possess some level of imperfection. Even diamonds with the best clarity have microscopic inclusions. In regular diamonds, better clarity grade defines the finer quality of the stone.
But, in the case of salt and pepper diamonds, these black and white inclusions are the unique feature that makes them stand out of the crowd.
In a regular diamond, color grades the whiteness of a diamond. Whiter a diamond, more expensive it is. Then, there are colored diamonds (such as pink, green, blue, etc.) which are furthermore precious and expensive.
However, in salt and pepper diamonds, the large number of black and white inclusions gives them a silky gray or dark appearance. Generally, their color can range from milky to gray (depending on the amount and type of inclusions).
In a regular diamond, a cut is a quality that finally creates the sparkling shine of a diamond. The cut is considered to be one of the most crucial factors to be considered to buy a sparkling diamond.
Salt and pepper diamonds have heavily reduced brilliance due to a great number of inclusions. For the same reason, even a brilliant-cut cannot bring out the sparkle in these stones. So, to counter this, craftsmen opt for fancy cuts for salt and pepper diamonds.
Fancy cuts for these stones include step cuts, rose cuts, and includes shapes like hexagons, pear, oval, triangle, kites, round and coffin too.
Carat weight is basically the measurement of how much a diamond weighs. For a regular diamond, price increases with an increase in carat weight.
Salt and pepper diamonds are easier to find in large sizes as they are comparatively much affordable and available. Due to this, the price of salt and pepper diamonds doesn’t increase with size drastically. Talking mathematically, the price of the same carat salt and pepper diamond would be around three quarters lesser than a regular diamond.
Do Salt and Pepper Diamonds Make a Good Engagement Ring Choice?
Salt and pepper are a trend of today’s times and well-received, especially by millennials. They have become a favorite of those who want to stand completely out of the crowd.
We know that you still would be wondering if salt and pepper diamonds would make a good engagement ring choice. Need not worry; we have listed some factors which are surely going to make the choice easier for you!
- Salt and pepper diamonds are unique: Salt and pepper diamonds are very appealing due to their peculiar silky gray, spotted look. Each stone possesses a character of its own and is unique in its own way. So, if you want something that really stands apart, then these could be your pick.
- Salt and pepper diamonds are affordable: Regular diamonds are expensive, fancy colored diamonds are more expensive, but contrary to these, salt and pepper’s are much affordable. So, if you want something which is easy on the pocket and unique at the same time, then salt and pepper diamonds might be your choice.
- Salt and pepper diamonds have high versatility: Such is the quality of these diamonds that you can use them in any style - vintage, contemporary, rustic or bohemian. Whether you want a subtle design, or looking forward to an ultra-stylish design, they can fit into any form. No matter whatever your pick is, you can use them as per your preference without any doubt.
- Salt and pepper diamonds are environment-friendly: If you are one of those who strongly believe in saving the environment, then these stones are the best choice for you. The reason being that the process of mining salt and pepper diamonds hardly causes any disturbance to the environment as they are available in abundant as compared to the regular diamonds.
- Salt and pepper diamonds exemplify ‘perfection in imperfection’: Someone wise once said that in relations, perfection is achieved when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their imperfectness. The imperfectness of salt and pepper diamonds i.e. black and white inclusions gives out a message to look over the imperfections and focus on your love for each other.
settings that Pair Well
- Salt and Pepper Diamonds pair well with yellow and rose gold settings. These metals bring out the colors and patterns of the stone, creating a sophisticated look.
- White gold settings give salt and pepper diamonds a cooler, icier look, creating a contemporary feel.
- Pair salt and pepper center stones with small, sparkling white diamonds for added brilliance and contrast. Look for halo and side stone settings.
- Bezel settings are popular, as the metal frames and highlights the look of the stone.
Where do you Buy Salt and Pepper Engagement Rings?
Individuals today have learned to embrace their individuality, their imperfections, rather than trying to be perfect. With the natural imperfections of salt and pepper diamond, you can show to the world that you love being yourself!
Now, when you have made up your mind into buying salt and pepper engagement ring, the bigger question arises where to buy it from? Well, we will sort that also for you!
Time and again we have reiterated the importance of buying diamonds from reputable and trusted vendors only. Etsy is the most trusted and best place to shop for engagement rings. We particularly love Point No Point Studio for their selection of salt and pepper diamond rings.
They have innumerable options, designs ranging from traditional to modern and unique stones. Furthermore, they have the option of customization as per your preference and taste. Fantastic isn’t it!
Click here to see our picks for the best engagement ring shops on Etsy and show to the world that you love ‘Being Yourself’!
What do you think of salt and pepper diamonds?