It is imperative that you buy your diamonds from a reputable dealer that offers high-quality photos and GIA certification. We recommend James Allen for their large selection and excellent customer service.
Have you ever realized how, by simply wearing earrings, you can light up your face instantly?
And what can be more desirable than a pair of diamond stud earrings! Diamonds are mesmerizing, precious, and rare. But, buying a diamond is not an easy affair. First, you need to be very sure of investing in the right stones. So, if you are thinking of buying diamond stud earrings, here are a few things that will help you make the best purchase.
4C’s of Diamond
Before buying a diamond, the first and foremost thing is understanding the 4C’s of a diamond. 4C’s of a diamond is taken into account to evaluate the quality of colorless diamonds. Therefore, the higher a diamond is graded, the more perfect and expensive it is.
All diamonds possess some level of imperfection. Even diamonds with the best clarity have microscopic inclusions. In white diamonds, a better clarity grade defines the finer quality of the stone. Clarity is measured using magnifications, and diamonds are given one of the following grades: FL (Flawless), IF (Internally Flawless), VVs1 or VVs2 (Very, Very Slightly Included), VS1 or VS2 (Very Slightly Included), SI1 or SI2 (Slightly Included), I1 or I2 or I3 (Included).
In white diamonds, color grades the whiteness of a diamond. The whiter a diamond, the more expensive it is. There are also colored diamonds (such as pink, green, blue, etc.) which are even more precious and rare.
In a white diamond, the cut is the quality that finally creates the sparkling shine of a diamond. The cut is considered one of the most crucial factors that contribute to the sparkle of a diamond. There are different styles of cuts, like round brilliant and Ascher. Having a well-cut diamond is extremely important as a better cut can improve a diamond’s sparkle, and a not-so-well-cut one will cause the diamond to be less radiant.
Carat weight is the measurement of how much a diamond weigh. For a regular diamond, the price increases with an increase in carat weight.
Steps on How to Buy Diamond Stud Earrings
Set A Budget
Diamonds are not only precious gemstones but are symbolic of your emotions and memories too. Therefore, most people who buy diamonds buy them on occasions like engagements, anniversaries, birthdays, Valentine’s Day, etc.
Buying diamonds is also an investment, so preparing a budget beforehand is very important. Once you set a budget, you know what to look for and save yourself from emptying your pockets.
Choose a Shape and Size
Choosing a size and shape for your diamond studs is the second step towards buying them.
What is the size that you are looking for? What is the shape that you want?
These are some questions, the answers which can make buying easier for you. The most popular size for diamond studs is one-carat (total weight of the earring pair).
A half-carat diamond is usually 5mm in diameter, and a one-carat diamond is about 6.4mm in diameter. The bigger the carat, the heavier and bulkier the stud earring can become.
The most popular diamond shapes for stud earrings are round brilliant, and princess cut.
- Round brilliant cut: The round brilliant cut has maximum brightness, fire, and sparkle in a colorless diamond making it a popular choice for diamond studs.
- Princess cut: The princess cut typically has a modified brilliant facet arrangement and therefore has exceptional sparkle and scintillation.
However, you can buy diamond studs in any shape you may like, but remember that studs in ears can rotate when you wear them.
Think of a situation! The pointed end of the pear-shaped diamond stud is pointing upwards in one ear and pointing sideways in the other. Would you want to save the effort of rotating and correcting them every time? Choosing a symmetrical shape not only left and right, but up and down too (like round and princess cut) can save you the effort of rotating and aligning the studs pair repeatedly.
Choose a Metal to Pair with Diamond Stud Earrings
Diamonds are highly reflective gems, meaning their whiteness is influenced by the metal they are set in.
For example, if you are looking for a bright white look for your diamond studs, a white metal such as white gold or platinum is an excellent choice. This is because a white metal will enhance the whiteness of the diamond.
Secondly, diamonds with a noticeable yellowish tint can be paired gorgeously with yellow gold or rose gold. And if you wish to create a contrast, you can pair these diamonds with white metal.
- Yellow Gold - Classic and traditional metal that lends a golden glow to diamonds. The warm tone is flattering to warm skin tones.
- White Gold - Chic and elegant. This metal makes a diamond look even icier with its cool tones. White gold is coated in rhodium, which makes it the most reflective of all precious metals.
- Rose Gold - A flirty and romantic metal color that has become super trendy in recent years. Rose gold is a warm to neutral tone that flatters all skin tones.
- Platinum - A Luxurious precious metal resembling white gold; however, platinum is stronger and requires less upkeep than white gold. Also, platinum is hypoallergenic as it does not contain nickel.
Choosing the Best Setting for Diamond Stud Earrings
Settings play an essential role in any jewelry. Firstly, the setting holds the gem securely in place, and secondly, a good setting can display a gemstone at its best. Therefore, when choosing your setting, you should always consider a setting that enhances the size of the stone, offers maximum sparkle, and tenaciously holds the gemstone.
The most popular for diamond stud earrings. In this setting, tiny metal pieces known as prongs hold the diamond in place. Prong settings enhance the look of a diamond by letting in an ample amount of light, creating maximum shine and brilliance.
- A classic three-prong martini setting lets the maximum light into the gemstone. It also creates the illusion of a larger diamond.
- A four-prong is more secure and offers a more symmetrical look.
- A six-prong surrounds the diamond with a corona of prongs. This setting is best suited to diamonds over 2.00ct
- A double-prong setting adds a sophisticated and subtle style to a simple diamond stud earring.
Lend a modern look but also offer excellent protection. This setting is typically used for round diamonds and features a metal ring around the stone that holds it in place and protects the stone from damage. Bezel settings are perfect for people with an active lifestyle and anyone looking for a chic and contemporary style.
Glamour and impact are the purposes of halo settings. A diamond or gem is placed in the center, with small diamonds forming a halo around it. Halo settings create the illusion of a larger stone and offer maximum sparkle.
Some tips for choosing the best settings are :
- Using a lot of metal diverts attention from the diamond. Therefore, using less metal attracts more attention towards the diamond, thereby helping maximize the diamond’s sparkle. A setting with three to four prongs can be a perfect choice here.
- For smaller diamonds, consider adding a halo of diamond melee. Or encase the diamonds in a white metal setting that will complement their whiteness.
- If you want your diamond stud earrings to appear larger, then a prong setting can help maximize the size of a diamond as they cover the least area of the diamond and expose as much surface as possible.
- Diamonds are the hardest gemstone, ranking 10 on the Mohs scale of hardness. With diamond stud earrings, you might want to look for a setting that provides maximum protection to the gemstone. A bezel setting offers maximum protection, where a thin metal strip is pushed or hammered around the gem to secure it.
- If you are looking for maximum protection along with maximum gemstone size, you can opt for a white metal bezel; this will make the diamond appear larger while providing a tenacious hold.
Checking the Quality
It is a common perception that quality is not an essential factor in buying diamond stud earrings as people do not look that closely at your ears. But as stated earlier, buying a diamond is also an investment, so it is advisable to buy a good quality diamond with a good cut that will maximize its sparkle.
Also, it is critical to note that the diamonds in a pair of stud earrings should match in size, color, and clarity - and in brilliance and sparkle pattern.
Choosing Earring Backs
(to secure and protect your diamond stud earrings)
Earring backs act as security guards of diamond studs. You do not want your expensive diamond earring falling out of your ear.
Butterfly or Push Back
This type of earring back pushes into place, holding your earrings in place with friction. Push backs are reasonably secure but not as secure as screw backs. And they do loosen over time and become gradually less secure. Nevertheless, it is a popular earring back because it is easy to use, affordable, and hard to see.
These screw into place on a threaded earring post. This back type is small and hides easily, and offers good security. Screwing on the back takes a bit more time and effort but keeps your diamond stud firmly on your ear. They also stay snug, preventing your earring from drooping on your ear.
Secure Lock Backs
The most secure of the types of earring backings. These earring backs slip onto your earring post and then lock into place through the use of a double groove locking mechanism. These are a bigger-sized back so they are harder for small earlobes to hide.
Make sure the backs are large enough to support the size of the diamond studs. Smaller backs can be used with smaller, lighter-weight studs. However, some buyers still prefer larger backs because they can be easier to handle.
Where to Buy Diamond Stud Earrings
It is highly recommended to buy diamonds from reputed sellers who provide GIA certificates with diamonds. One of the most trusted and reputed online diamond retailers is James Allen.
James Allen has revolutionized the way people buy engagement rings and diamond jewelry. They are considered to be one of the most premier diamond online retailers in the world. With 18+ years of experience and a prime focus on customer satisfaction, they provide excellent pricing for their diamonds.
You can be sure to buy the best diamond stud earrings at the best price at James Allen.
Click here to visit James Allen and become a proud owner of a pair of twinkling stars!