Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
A quick list of the most expensive, rare, and collectible pieces of vintage costume jewelry from various designers and brands.
The most important factors in considering the value of vintage costume jewelry are:
Tips for Purchasing Vintage Costume Jewelry
- Only buy costume jewelry that is in more or less mint condition.
- Look at the back of the piece of jewelry, if there is green rust, it means the jewelry has already been damaged.
- Look for signatures to verify authenticity.
- Extremely worn plating, missing stones, missing parts, darkened or cloudy rhinestones, clasps that don't work properly, and chipped or scratched enamel all lower the value of a vintage piece.
- Look for signs of quality such substantial weight, smooth plating and sparkling stones.
- Avoid obvious repairs such as sloppy soldering and haphazard stone replacements.
Vintage Costume Jewelry Designers and Their Most Valuable Pieces
MOST COLLECTIBLE PIECES From Weiss
Most collectible Pieces from Eisenberg
Most Collectible Pieces From Hobe
Most Collectible Pieces from Coro
Most Collectible Pieces from Miriam Haskell
Most Collectible Pieces from Carnegie
- Animal brooches made of Lucite - Collectors covet the fish and long-horned goats, but the anteater is the most prized of all - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Tremblers - flowers or butterflies on springs that trembled or vibrated as the wearer moved - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- Egyptian revival pieces - Shop on Esty- Shop on eBay
- Pieces designed before Hattie Carnegie's death in 1950 - these are worth collecting even if they are not in good condition
Most Collectible Pieces From Trifari
Most Collectible Pieces from Lisner
Most Collectible Pieces from Sarah Conventry
Most Collectible Pieces from Boucher
Most Collectible Pieces from Ciner
- Pieces with high-quality fake pearls that were made in Japan. These faux pearls were made of a glass coated multiple times with a special glaze to achieve the glow of cultured pearls - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Figural pieces shaped like animals and flowers - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Jewelry with tiny turquoise seed pearls - Shop on Etsy- Shop on eBay
- Chokers and Bracelets featuring crystal squares in interlocking zigzag patterns
Most Collectible Pieces from Kramer
Yves St Laurent
Most Collectible Pieces from Yves St Laurent
Most Collectible Pieces from Chanel
- Vintage jewelry and handbag hardware is 24k gold plated, which raises the value on vintage items since the brand discontinued gold plating a few years ago. - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- pieces marked "CHANEL" with three stars beneath - these were huate couture pieces.
- Early baroque and Byzantine styles using Gripiox glass - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Most vintage Chanel costume jewelry has a high value, this is one brand that is 100% worth investing in.
I hope this list helps you find costume jewelry that will hold its value and remain highly collectible. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!