In this article, you will find a quick list of the most rare, collectible, and expensive vintage costume jewelry pieces from various designers and brands.
The most important factors in considering the value of vintage costume jewelry are:
Tips for Purchasing Vintage Costume Jewelry
- Only buy costume jewelry that is in more or less mint condition.
- Look at the back of the piece of jewelry, if there is green rust, it means the jewelry has already been damaged.
- Look for signatures to verify authenticity.
- Extremely worn plating, missing stones, missing parts, darkened or cloudy rhinestones, clasps that don't work properly, and chipped or scratched enamel all lower the value of a vintage piece.
- Look for signs of quality such substantial weight, smooth plating and sparkling stones.
- Avoid obvious repairs such as sloppy soldering and haphazard stone replacements.
Expensive Vintage Costume Jewelry Designers and Their Most Valuable Pieces
Most Collectible Pieces From Weiss
- Figurals such as birds and animals - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Dark, japanned pins in the shapes of Maltese crosses - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Enamel work - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
>> Learn More About Weiss in this Buying Guide
Most collectible Pieces from Eisenberg
>> Learn More about Eisneburg in our Eisenburg Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces From Hobe
- Reproductions of 16th- and 17th- century European fine jewels
- Floral pins produced in the 1930s and 1940s - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- Filigreed bracelets and pins - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
>> Learn more about this brand in our Vintage Hobe Jewelry Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces from Coro
- "Jelly belly" pieces - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- Sterling silver pieces marked MEXICO - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- The "Coro Duette" line - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
>> Learn more about Coro in our Vintage Coro Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces from Miriam Haskell
- Clearly marked (signed) pieces - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- Pieces with the horseshoe stamp, as there are not many of them - Shop on eBay
- Pieces from the 1940's through to the 1950's
>> Learn more about Miriam Haskell Jewelry
Most Collectible Pieces from Carnegie
- Animal brooches made of Lucite - Collectors covet the fish and long-horned goats, but the anteater is the most prized of all - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Tremblers - flowers or butterflies on springs that trembled or vibrated as the wearer moved - Shop on Esty - Shop on eBay
- Egyptian revival pieces - Shop on Esty- Shop on eBay
- Pieces designed before Hattie Carnegie's death in 1950 - these are worth collecting even if they are not in good condition
>> Learn More about Carnegie on our Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces From Trifari
- Fruit Salads - known as tutti frutti - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Clip-Mates - first patented double-clip brooch - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
>> Learn about Trifari in our Vintage Trifari Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces from Lisner
- Molded plastic oak-leaf jewelry - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Matching sets of pins or necklaces, and bracelets or earrings - Shop on Etsy - Shop on Ebay
>> Learn more about Lisner in our Vintage Lisner Jewelry Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces from Sarah Conventry
- Pieces from the 1960's and 70's
- Color-based pieces:
>> Learn more about Buying Sarah Coventry Jewelry.
Most Collectible Pieces from Boucher
>> Learn more about Boucher in our Marcel Boucher Vintage Jewelry Buying Guide.
Most Collectible Pieces from Ciner
- Pieces with high-quality fake pearls that were made in Japan. These faux pearls were made of a glass coated multiple times with a special glaze to achieve the glow of cultured pearls - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Figural pieces shaped like animals and flowers - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Jewelry with tiny turquoise seed pearls - Shop on Etsy- Shop on eBay
- Chokers and Bracelets featuring crystal squares in interlocking zigzag patterns
>> Learn more about Ciner Jewelry
Most Collectible Pieces from Kramer
>> Learn more about this brand in our Vintage Kramer Jewelry Buying Guide.
Yves St Laurent
Most Collectible Pieces from Yves St Laurent
Most Collectible Pieces from Chanel
- Vintage jewelry and handbag hardware is 24k gold plated, which raises the value on vintage items since the brand discontinued gold plating a few years ago. - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- pieces marked "CHANEL" with three stars beneath - these were huate couture pieces.
- Early baroque and Byzantine styles using Gripiox glass - Shop on Etsy - Shop on eBay
- Most vintage Chanel costume jewelry has a high value, this is one brand that is 100% worth investing in.
>> Learn more about Vintage Chanel Jewelry.
I hope this list helps you find costume jewelry that will hold its value and remain highly collectible. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below!